Residential Home Service

How can I apply to live in a residential home in Hong Kong? Are there any procedures? How long does it take?

If you would like to apply for a government subvented residential home for an elderly, you may contact District Elderly Community Centres (DECC); Neighborhood Elderly Centres (NEC); medical social worker (MSW) in hospital or Integrated Family Service Centres (IFSC) for assessments. The elderly would be referred to have a Standardized Care Need Assessment and only the elders that are assessed having long term care needs would be put under the Central Waiting List. Normally, the waiting time is about a few years. You may refer to Social Welfare Department (SWD) website for information.


If you would like to apply for a non-government subvented residential home, you may directly contact any non-government subvented residential homes to apply. For details, please refer to SWD Website for information.


If you would like to apply for residential homes under Haven of Hope Christian Service, you may reach TotalCare at 2663 3001. After you submit an application form, our staff will contact you to arrange an assessment for the elderly. You may also arrange a visit our Homes if your family likes to. Normally, it only takes about one week for the whole admission process.

Our family is not able to take care of the elderly at home for a short period of time. What can we do?

You may contact residential homes to arrange respite residential service. The elderly could live in a residential home for a short period of time, ranging from one week to a few months. With professional staff taking care of the elderly, family members could take a break. You may refer to SWD webpage for more details.


Home Care Service

I am taking care of an elder at home. Is there any support from the community?

Base on the needs of the elder, there are home care services which may suit him. E.g. physiotherapy, rehabilitation exercise, home risk assessment and modification, daily living care, nursing care, etc. You may contact TotalCare to arrange one-stop assessment and suitable and professional home care service for the elderly.

Are there any service suitable for elders with dementia?

For elders with early stage dementia, cognitive training could help to lower their cognitive deterioration. While for middle stage dementia elders, day respite service could release the stress of carer. Home risk assessment and modification would ensure the dementia elder living in a safe environment. For late stage ones, you may arrange him to live in residential homes. There are organisations like the Haven of Hope Christian Service provides day respite centers and residential homes provide special care program and manpower for dementia clients. You may contact TotalCare for further information.

My maid is taking care an elderly at home but she lacks of suitable caring skills, what can I do?

TotalCare will conduct caring skills training course for maids, we can also arrange Personal Care Assistant and Health Worker to coach the maid on their caring skills at the elder’s home.

Nobody take care the elderly when the maid is on holiday, what can I do?

TotalCare could arrange Personal Care Assistant and Health Worker to take care the elder during holidays. We also conduct carer training, you may learn caring skills through the workshops.

Hospital Discharge Care Program

If the elder is going to be discharged from hospital while our family members are not able to take care of him at home due to his unstable health condition, what can I do?

The elder may live in respite residential homes. He can return home once his helath condition is stabilised.

Elderly is going to be discharged from hospital but the living environment of our home is not user-friendly. What can I do?

Occupational Therapist could conduct home risk assessment and modification, so that the home is more user-friendly. For example, install hand rails, bathroom safety products, commode, etc.

  1. The information provided by Haven of Hope Christian Service (HOHCS) on this Website is for general information only. While every effort has been made to ensure that the information on this Website is accurate, the HOHCS expressly disclaims liability for errors or omissions in such information and materials.
  2. Users who link from the HOHCS Website to sites provided by other organisations should be aware that the information on those sites has been compiled and issued by those organisations. The HOHCS accepts no responsibility for the content of any site to which a hypertext link from this site exists and shall not be liable for any loss or damage arising from or related to its use.
  1. When you look at Haven of Hope Christian Service (HOHCS) website, our service provider makes a record of your visit. This shows your Domain Name Server address and the pages you have visited. The service provider only discloses to us aggregate information about the number and types of visitors. This information will be used for preparing statistics.
  2. The personal information you have provided to HOHCS will be treated as strictly confidential and will be used for purpose of communication on news of HOHCS.
  3. You can express your opinions through the email of HOHCS website. We will try our best to read and reply all the requests. The opinions of the users will be kept for the improvement of the website and the personal information will not be disclosed to third party without prior consent of the user.
  4. According to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, you have the right to access and amend the personal information. Please call 2703 3373 if necessary.
  5. Should there is any enquiries about the privacy matters, please contact the Public Relations Session of HOHCS at 2703 3373.